Guidelines for the Darrell Patterson Scholarship Fund
The Darrell Patterson Scholarship Fund was created to serve Post Custody Youth from the Tennessee Valley Region
of the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services and other Youth in the community needing Financial assistance
to further their education. Also upon Board approval, the Board may assist youth in critical need of assistance not currently attending an Educational path from Funds outside the Scholarship Fund.
To be eligible for Scholarship Funds, a youth must have an open case with the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services in the Post Custody Division or upon the recommendation of their High School Guidence Counselor. The youth must be attending High School as a Senior or an accredited institution of higher learning. The initiative to access all other funds available to them (including all Grants, Scholarships and DHS funds) should be made. A 2.25 GPA must be maintained each semester and funds will be released for the upcoming semester after proof of maintaining the required GPA from the last semester.
Funds available to youth that meet all eligibility requirements may include, but not limited to the following:
- Gas Card – up to $75 per month, $150 per month after age 21
- Campus Card – up to $100 per month
- Rent/Utilities – up to $200 per month for the first year of College
- up to $250 per month for the second year of College
- up to $300 per month for the third year of a University
- Car Insurance – up to $300 per year
- Personal Items – up to $200 per month
- Bus Ticket – up to $50 per month
- Supplies – on an as needed basis with Board approval
Good Grades Incentives
- Youth maintaining a 2.5 GPA after the first year of college are eligible for _________
- Youth completing 66 hours at an accredited College/University or completing a 2 year Certificate at an accredited Community College (continuing into a 4 year College/University) are eligible for a Laptop.
- Youth maintaining a 2.65 GPA during their Sophomore through Senior year of College are eligible for _____